Skip to main content

Soul Compass Cards

 One of my favorite Intentional Creativity®practices is creating cards! 

Creating a set of Soulful Story Cards was the first Red Thread event I offered, and we often create several cards in a circle. I've written about several ways to use our cards, and there are so many ways to create them! 

Materials: 

  • Watercolor or mixed media paper, thin cardboard (I use watercolor and mixed media paper from pads) 
  • Watercolours or acrylic paint, acrylic ink, shimmer watercolors, Neocolor 2 crayons, Inktense pencils, calligraphy or micon pens, brushes
  • Ideal if using cardboard
  • Scissors, edge trimmers
  • Items for collage, gold paint, glue or medium
Set your intention for your cards
Paint your background - playful, happy colors! If using watercolor paper, spray and drip color into it for a wash. If recycling thin cardboard (tea boxes!)  Use white paint or jeep to prepare your surface, then paint with acrylics.

While your paint dries, write out the 'old stories' that hold you back, critic chatter, or negative beliefs on one side of a slip of paper or in your journal: 

  • I never have enough time!
  • I'm too old" (or too young, or too busy) 
  • I'd love to do my art, but I don't want to end up a starving artist ... 
  • I felt really isolated and lonely this last year
  • I wanted to ___ by the time I was ___ ....

Then start heartstorming and writing an antidote on the other side of the paper, or in your journal. Watch for themes - are two or three stories practically the same? What antidotes resonate? They just needs to make sense to you! 

  • Time Angels
  • Lifetime Learner
  • Boundless creativity
  • Global connections
  • New Opportunities

Choose your card size, and tear cards from your watercolor or mixed media paper. I love round cards, so often use a template and draw a outline, then cut out. You may hold some paper for a packet, or recycle packaging 

Write a word or two of your antidote on your paper (you can write supporting ideas on the other side)

Then decorate as you please! I may leave the center blank, and do a Neuro-doodle around some ... So many ways we can do these! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Altered Board Book

One of the earliest projects in our  Color of Woman teacher training was the invitation to create simple art journals, setting our intention, using simple supplies and an inexpensive composition book as the container. These journals, called Cosmic Smash Books by an earlier graduate, Catt Geller, became companions for many of us on our quest, holding notes, inspiration, and process pages. I made several that year, and many others since. We began and covered books in our last Red Thread Creatives circle, and this week,  created a grounding, resting or process page. We were led by Linda Allen, a CoW graduate and Smashbook Guide. Linda is a big fan of using junk mail and other throw away for booklets and pages. In our last session, I painted a cover for the journal I was already working in, using a sturdy paper bag from my daughter's stash. My youngest granddaughter came outside to paint with me, making hers for a spiral bound notebook. This week, I worked in an altered children's

February Reset

 I'm looking forward to the February Festival -  Resetting the space of your Living Altar,  which Katy  from our  Intentional Creativity  community hosts! I'm also a bit nervous, as I've been invited on board to help facilitate the group this year! You can join the group here Red Thread A decade ago, our IC teacher  Shiloh  issued this invitation:   " I would love for you to finish your painting if you haven’t, and then to clean your studio. Reset your altars. Make new room for the sprouts to come up through the ashes. You need space and time to see what’s coming up and what wants to be shared and prepared for...." Whatever your space and projects, giving time and attention to a reset often inspires us, and gives access to new ideas and insights.  The Resetting group description reads,  "think of this, what if your whole home was a sacred space? Throughout February, (we) will lead a month of consciously clearing spaces in your home, and you're invited!&qu

Roots and Wings

 The invitation to one of my early Red Thread Circle read: 'It is often said we need to give our children roots for grounding, and wings to give their visions and dreams flight! Our creativity also thrives with roots and wings!   Come explore what gives you stability, & vision into the dreams you'd like to give wings. We'll play with paint and paper and you'll leave with an altar piece to remind you of your own Roots & Wings.'   Natasha's Tree What gives you Roots? What grounds you into your body, your home, your community?  What do you - and your surroundings need to thrive? Where do you yern to spread your wings?  What bogs you down - old baggage, old stories that 'it's about time' you tossed? What leaves are ready to drop?  We drummed & rattled to connect with our roots, the things that give us stability.  Our images shared commonalities, trees, earth, sky, greenery. We played with acrylics, tempra, a leaf stencil, collage to create ou